By Everything Wine
Cheers to leaving April showers in the dust and embracing the beautiful month of May! One wine you’ll find on our picnic table this spring is the ‘Mortar and Pestle Cabernet Merlot’. This Aussie gem offers aromas of red cherry and blackcurrants and flavours of milk chocolate on the palate. Try it with a Caprese-stuffed veggie burger and kick the whole experience up a notch for a fantastic spring pairing. The classic red blend has rich, ripe red fruit flavours and pairs perfectly with richer, intensely flavoured dishes. The intensity of the pesto and fresh tomatoes stand up to the bold fruit flavours while the creamy mozzarella matches the long, smooth finish. Don’t just take our word for it, try this delicious pairing for yourself!
Drop by and enjoy a complimentary tasting of this month’s featured wines and speak with one of our many wine specialist about some great pairings for special dishes or events you may have planned this month.
1 pint Cherry tomatoes, halved
2 cloves Garlic, minced
1 cup Mushrooms, finely ground
1/2 medium Zucchini, grated
1 small Shallot, finely chopped
1 cup Quinoa, cooked
1/4 cup Lentils, cooked
3/4 cup Breadcrumbs
1/2 Lime, juiced
1 tbsp Pesto
4 slices Fresh mozzarella, sliced thick
4 buns Split and toasted
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Arrange tomatoes on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Add 1 clove minced garlic. Toss to combine. Roast 20-25 minutes until they begin to shrivel.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and remaining garlic. Cook until shallot is soft and slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Transfer mixture to bowl. Stir in quinoa, lentils. Let cool.
- Once cooled, stir in breadcrumbs, lime juice and pesto. Squeeze a clump in your hand. If it does not hold its shape, stir in a spoonful or two more lentils.
- Divide mixture in half. Form half into 4 small patties and make a well in the center. Place a slice of cheese on each. Top with remaining mixture and shape into a patty, pressing at the sides to make sure there are no holes.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in large skillet over medium-heat. Add two of the burgers and cook, flipping once, until brown and crispy on both sides, about 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining burgers.
- Place each burger on a bun and top with the roasted tomatoes and dollop of pesto. If you like a saucier burger, make a quick pesto mayo using 1 tbsp. pesto per 1/4 cup mayo. If the burgers are not going straight from pan to plate, reheat them before serving